Supernormal: The Secret World of the Family Hero
Contributor(s): Jay, Meg (Author)
ISBN: 145555913X EAN: 9781455559138
US SRP: $17.99 US
Binding: Paperback: 400 pages
Pub Date: January 15, 2019
Annotation: Clinical psychologist and author of The Defining Decade, Meg Jay takes us into the world of the supernormal: those who soar to unexpected heights after childhood adversity.
Whether it is the loss of a parent to death or divorce; bullying; alcoholism or drug abuse in the home; mental illness in a parent or a sibling neglect emotional, physical or sexual abuse having a parent in jail or growing up alongside domestic violence, nearly 75% of us experience adversity by the age of 20. But these experiences are often kept secret, as are our courageous battles to overcome them.
Drawing on nearly two decades of work with clients and students, Jay tells the tale of ordinary people made extraordinary by these all too common experiences, everyday superheroes who have made a life out of dodging bullets and leaping over obstacles, even as they hide in plain sight as doctors, artists, entrepreneurs, lawyers, parents, activists, teachers, students and readers. She gives a voice to the supernormals among us as they reveal not only "How do they do it?" but also "How does it feel?"
These powerful stories, and those of public figures from Andre Agassi to Jay Z, will show supernormals they are not alone but are, in fact, in good company.
Marvelously researched and compassionately written, this exceptional book narrates the continuing saga that is resilience as it challenges us to consider whether -- and how -- the good wins out in the end.
- Psychology | Developmental | Lifespan Development
- Psychology | Developmental | Child
- Psychology | Mental Health
- Self-Help | Personal Growth | Success
- Psychology | Interpersonal Relations
- Family & Relationships | Life Stages | Adolescence
- Family & Relationships | Bullying
- Family & Relationships | Abuse | Child Abuse
- Psychology | Personality
- Family & Relationships | Dysfunctional Families
- Family & Relationships | Death, Grief, Bereavement
- Family & Relationships | Divorce & Separation